5 Facts About Memorial Day:
- In 1971, Memorial Day changed from May 30th to the last Monday in May.
- Several towns consider themselves to be the first to declare Memorial Day a holiday, but Waterloo, NY was declared the birthplace by Congress in 1966.
- Memorial Day was first cobserved on May 30, 1868.
- The Red Poppy has become a symbol for Memorial Day, inspired by the John McCrae poem “In Flanders Fields.”
- Memorial Day was not the official name until declared in 1967.
- Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day.
- The holiday was originally observed to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the American Civil War.
Looking for fun activities and recipes for Memorial Day? Check out my Memorial Day Pinterest Board!
Looking for a Local Event to attend?
Have a Fantastic Holiday Weekend!!!
Jen is a “Mom Blogger” in the sense that she writes about her life which largely revolves around being a mother. You can expect to hear about family life and raising young kids, recipes and menu planning, home organization, crafts, products that she loves and local, family friendly events and locations. You can hear more from Jen on her personal blog, WorthingtonLower.com